Monday, January 30, 2006

Leadership - schmeedership.

Am I the only one concerned with the who's-gonna-run-who's-not-gonna-run blogshite zipping around Libistan these days?

If I see one more fill-in-the-blank-for-leader.blogspot.com, I'm going join the Green Party.

We just got spanked.

We got spanked for a lot of things, not least of which was the cult-of-the-leader approach we took to the last 36 months.

In a sense, we're lucky.

The "Paul Martin's Liberals" brand is no longer an issue. It's very quickly about to become the political equivalent of Borax.

So why don't we come up with some ideas for you know... like what we stand for... ?

Let's be pround to be Liberals not just for where we came from, but for where we want to go.

This is a great opportunity to think about where we'd like to take the country without worrying what PCO, Finance, Justice, et alia think about it. Without having to run it through 43 caucus committees, 91 cabinet committees, PMO, the regional minister and... well, you know.

We don't need a leader who will quickly pronounce "I'm going to listen to caucus" either.

(Note to candidates: Caucus comprised exactly 134 votes in the last federal election, who were already in the "strong Liberals" category and was the equivalent of saying - I'm going to listen to myself. Try something new: "I and my caucus are going to listen to voters...")

I'm just saying, if you're thinking about running for leadership, come with some ideas. Come with a plan as to how to get some ideas from other people... like voters.

Don't worry about personality, I mean hell, if Stephen Harper can get elected - who needs personality?

2 comments:

noone said...

I agree. It's about time the focus shifted to listening to Canadians.

Mark said...

we can have a leadership race that id precisely about listening to Canadians. I hope candidates view this as a chance to set up town hall meetings across the country, to launch interactive policy-driven websites, etc.

Being in Opposition allows us to do all of this stuff without having to account for it in the Globe and Mail 24 hrs later.

This will be a very different race. A very constructive race.