Wednesday, September 13, 2006

The National Post stole my tax cut

"According to Jim Flaherty, the federal Finance Minister, his debut budget -- expected sometime this spring -- will place much of its focus on tax cuts. This is good news. But it is to be hoped that Mr. Flaherty is not just referring to the Conservatives' planned reduction to the GST, which will take it from 7% to 6% initially, and later down to 5%. While sure to be welcomed by consumers and businesses alike, this move on its own does not constitute the broad tax relief that Canadians want and need."

-National Post Editorial, April 19th 2006

And:

"Canadians expecting to pay less to park, take a taxi or see a movie with the GST cut coming into effect today could be in for an unpleasant surprise.

They might not save a cent."

-National Post news article, The 1% Illusion, July 1, 2006

And so yesterday, I did something I have not done in quite some time. I bought a copy of the National Post.

It cost a dollar, including GST.

I guess the NP journalist forgot to include his own employer as a business which was not passing on the tax cut to consumers.

The National Post used to be 93 cents, and with Harpers GST tax cut, it should have cost 99 cents including tax.

But now it costs 94 cents, or a dollar including GST.

Which means the National Post raised their prices on July 1st, and stole my tax cut.

Thank you, Stephen Harper, for providing a new source of revenue for your friends at the Don Mills Cheerleading Squad, I am sure they used the money for bright new blue pom-poms for the editorial board.

Tax cut, my ass - a penny for your thoughts, Stephen.

2 comments:

Jeff said...

Sorry, but I think anyone that buys the National Compost gets what they deserve...

Jay said...

I had someone at Rabba's try to give me one of those as a promotional (followed by 20 min sales pitch for a map book) and was alarmed when I asked what I would want it for seeing I had just purchased toilet paper. Not sure if he got what I was implying.