Sunday, May 28, 2006

Noooosssse-Stretcher.

I am not sure what to call this.

I can think of a word, but the legal department doesn't let me use it. And my mom reads this stuff, and she still thinks I'm a nice person.

I flipped open yesterday's Globe & Mail to read:PM backs down on policy for fallen Hours after funeral, Harper lets families decide whether public can see arrival of bodies

I am not sure the headline writer got it right.

Commenting on Captain Nichola Goddard's funeral, and her father's criticism of the Ramp Ceremony media ban, the Prime Minister said:

"I had given fairly clear instructions that, when bodies were to come home, families were to be consulted," Mr. Harper said at a news conference in Victoria. "And if all families were agreed on making that particular ceremony public, that our government should have no difficulty with that. I'm not sure what happened in this case."

No, we're all 'not sure what happened in this case.'

As late as April 25th Harper himself defended the policy on House of Commons, saying "It is not about photo ops and media coverage, it's about what's in the best interests of the families."

On the same day, Defence Minister Gordon O'Connor told the CBC that the Government had decided to ban all media coverage to have a consistent policy.

And it wasn't just 'this case.'

The Canadian Press reported the Coporal Matthew Dinning's father had spoken out against the ban last month, playing a home video of the arrival of his son's body at the funeral in Wingham, Ontario.

It appears that the instructions were quite clear to everyone -- except the man who apparently gave them.

No comments: